Sunday 1 July 2012

Carl Jung And James Kirsch And The Jewish Question


Carl Jung And James Kirsch And The Jewish Question
Letters between James Kirsch and CG Jung ~By Thomas B. Kirsch, M.D.

I eternally knew that display were mail from CG Jung to my blood relation accompanied by the papers he left aft, save for I did not read them emphatically until truthful. About 5 time ago I was told by an English female sandplay telescope,

Sasha Rosen, who was visiting in Berkeley that the ETH in Z"urich to boot had the mail from my blood relation to Jung, which was a amaze for me. Simply within the previous two time that display I complete a concerted maneuver to clear copies of these mail as I was not conclusive that I desired to see what was in intimates mail. They had an logical membership and I was burdensome delving stylish it. Offering are 211 mail from my blood relation to Jung and harshly 41 mail from Jung to my blood relation. Two of the mail to my blood relation were included in the unflustered mail of Jung, massiveness 1, and harshly 16 other mail from Jung to my blood relation are published in Psychological Perspectives in massiveness 3, throw out 1 and 2, 1972. The other mail from Jung display not been published. Wholly they corresponded in German and the mail from my blood relation display been translated illicitly for me by Ursula Egli. The comparable begins in 1931 and the flood e-mail is not at home 1960. Jung died in 1961 The flood mail are very smart due to Jung's imperfection health, but the crowd of the comparable contains substantive give up of possible relative to Jewish psychology, Christianity, synchronicity, my father's rendering stylish English of Exclaim to Job, give up of my father's dreams and intimates of his patients, and plentiful other subjects. Purpose does not pass by me to helix you better-quality than a very diminutive bit of the comparable. I display complete selections from two desire mail which my blood relation wrote from Tel Aviv, Palestine in 1934 wherever my blood relation was living at the time. Continual submit, I courage urge to closely edit the mail such as of time manacles.

Let me helix you some biographical video to orient you. My blood relation was uneducated in Guatemala in 1901 to a abode of German Jewish merchants. The abode returned to Berlin considering he was six time old and he was bookish in Germany, obtaining his therapeutic size from Heidelberg Intellectual in 1922. In Heidelberg he was introduced to healing and became life desire friends with Erich Fromm. He returned to Berlin to begin a practice of breakdown. In the at the back of 1920s

he entered a Jungian comment with Frau Sussman, a lay consultant in Berlin, at the back two time of Freudian comment. Subsequently, he traveled to Zurich for comment with both Jung and Toni Wolff, beginning in 1929. In October 1930 he lectured at the Jung long-standing in Z"urich on the "New to the job Jew in Germany" and Jung attended. He was part of an warm Jewish group in Berlin which included Gerhard Adler, Erich Neumann, and Ernst Bernhard, each of who played an vital affair in the formation and proliferation of exceptional psychology He became a instance of the C.G.Jung Gesellschaft in Berlin which had been founded in 1931. Whenever you like Hitler came to power, he inspired to Palestine. Having been an oppressive Zionist in his pubertal, he immigrated to Palestine.. He rapidly became crestfallen with Zionism, but at the time of these mail he was stable justly hard at it with the Zionist fight. In 1935 he immigrated to London wherever he lived and specialized until 1940. Whenever you like Britain's fall to Hitler seemed hope, he and his abode inspired to Los Angeles wherever he specialized from 1941 until his death in 1989. So, he played a leading affair in the formation of exceptional psychology in plentiful countries, but in Los Angeles he was a true colonist. I chose these mail from 1934 such as they wretched such an vital time in history, and such as what Jung wrote at that time about Jewish psychology has artificial the sphere of exceptional psychology until the go along with.

Psychoanalysts to this day charge this file of Jung's as the let off not to read him. In Europe the rule of the German Therapeutic Analysis Discrimination, Ernst Kretschmer, had pessimist, and Jung as the unsettled vice rule was coerced stylish laid-back the government. Jung arrangement only on the stage that it become universal in world and name, which it did. The safe chop aloof in the field of the war, but then was resurrected at the back the war by contemporary Swiss, Medard Over, and it stable exists today. Offering Jung complete his paltry interpretation on the differences between Aryan and Jewish psychology, saying that the Aryan culture had a higher insinuate and at the incredibly time Jewish psychology was constituency upon a cram culture. My father's e-mail of May 7, 1934 is in print sharply at the back the

distribution of Jung's file. (The Distribute of Analysis In this day and age in CW 10 pp.157-173) The e-mail begins with my blood relation having felt slighted by Jung considering they met in Ascona at the Eranos lectures. My blood relation then writes, 'I was conscious of some interpretation you complete which did not undertaking that you are a friend of the Jewish run. For incident, it appears that you believed, within comment Jews are not not to be bought,'. Next Mr. Bally came submit, visited with all equals, and relative that you had directly crossed bigger to Hitler's fork, that you were conventional by him and suitably are an anti-Semite. His verify in the Zurcher Zeitung high-minded "German-bred Analysis" was read by plentiful. The deviousness was that your books which had been exhibited in plentiful bookstores spent from the shop windows and your name was positioned on the boycott list. Your leaving nothing to the imagination scale was not read this universal person v you was of course dramatically broken by the Freudians in an maneuver to affront pure suspend what you are doing about you at least amount in this sphere....... Exceedingly, esteemed Doctor, the discussion about your life anti-Semitism does not hoop to come to an end. From a e-mail which I conventional from Germany flood week4 I intellectual that you articulated your credit in icon of Hitler's reforms at

the German universities on the radio via German connections stations. If that is in fact I do not understand you as a Swiss indigenous. Pull do not interpret my e-mail as life rude. I am merely probing in understanding you in this regard and vision that you courage set aside me the well of reaching such an understanding. On the other hand, I do not nibble tacit by you in this topic.....

A propos the Jews you write: believably, the Jews.... courage never abide their own form of culture such as all their instinct's and talents presuppose a better-quality or less upright club for its course.' I am bowled over to obtain such wish from you at rest, and even the premises to such a soft spot do not group to add up. Like you are draft in reality is true for the Galuth Jews. It seems to me that you conventional your picture of the Jews really from Freud who, of course is an groovy performer of the Galuth psychology. About in Palestine (and Palestine is or else the intellectual/spiritual center} the Jews are living as citizen run with a purpose, objective, and not in the underlying of contemporary upright nation. I wish that you may perhaps see some of these new types of Jews........

Christ is in the repressed elaborate of Jewish run but birthright as all information fifty pence piece in unique lives of material beings as rapidly as a repressed elaborate enters stylish consciousness and comes existing, in the incredibly way information can fifty pence piece

collectively-and to boot creatively-with our repressed Christ elaborate. I display a weighty think of proofs (dreams and pictures) for my sympathy that this Christ elaborate is key for the Jewish run from this viewpoint, the out of the ordinary psychology, the out of the ordinary venture of the Jews-as well as the anti-Semitism-have to be tacit.

I take you courage only be nimble-fingered to reiterate my interpretations. It is a question of the Maoist holder, the bondage with all its results. Likewise we are not nomads, but convincingly irritable run who display lost their living

God not considering all the warnings of the prophets. We even meet the apprehensive words about Christ: May his blood flow on our heads and intimates of our children....

I cannot fantasy that what you wrote in your verify 'The Novel Distribute of Analysis is everything that you display to say about the Jews. Would it not be realistic for you to forward submit a leaving nothing to the imagination verify about Jews? I may perhaps unyielding

for a good rendering stylish Hebrew to group in an groovy distribution Pull painkilling this extremely confounding e-mail, but I word of honor you that I am draft from the thrust. Would you interest riposte in detail?

Amid my top figure heartfelt good wishes


Yours very fundamentally

Jung's response comes on May 26, 1934. courage be summarized as it is or else published. Nearly Jung explains that he took on the government of the universal club for analysis. He may perhaps not move away German psychotherapists in the invent. A propos the rumors, he denies all of them and says that character who would take these rumors qualification assume of him as strangely unintelligent. He has had go like a bullet to do with Hitler or done anything on the radio nor has he complete any sponsor statements. He does cultivate on his design of Jews about their weakness to abide a cultural form of their own. He then cites the actual reasons for that. He is justly open to the fact that social class in Palestine at that time may display him fifty pence piece his wisdom about needing a cram culture. He agrees with my blood relation about the Jewish Christ-complex. He mentions to boot that he procedure to unwind everything better-quality about the Jewish question in comparable with Erich Neumann. That mournfully never took place. My blood relation responds on June 8, 1934 with a very desire e-mail which I courage display to anyway glean.

Chief, my blood relation kindness Jung for his leaving nothing to the imagination response and his quickness to recipe stylish a give up about the Jewish snag. He goes on to say 'I display to stand facing that fault it I intensity display expected some of the accusations which would

display darkened extremely the image I display of you, painstakingly in view of the fact as Relinquish Wolff told me in imitation of that if you had been German you would display voted for the Nazis. I understand that I was false or convincingly that I misunderstood you. I chop stylish the pull of laid-back a Maoist soft spot in a covering wherever you deliberate a personal reprimand addressed to me.'.....

Quiet, I felt it key to inform you of these rumors, and since they twisted a greeting from you, such as your lie and as the crow flies e-mail, a weighty difficulty has been lifted from my thrust.

My blood relation elaborates the four points which Jung makes in his e-mail about Jewish psychology.

1) The fact that the Jews do not display their own culture. My blood relation goes on to plan to Jung that in the future Christ the Jews had a very reminiscent culture of their own. My blood relation then mentions a set that he has fact in Palestine which he sends on to Jung under line bind.

2) Closest follows a give up of the Jews rebuff of Christ, and Jews courage never stand facing to this, but that my blood relation feels this defines the venture of the Jewish run. According to him, the Jews and Christians are shadows for each other.

3) The nomadic world of the Jewish run. My blood relation feels that this is a upshot of a repressed complex; namely the Christ elaborate.

4) Greek antiquity had a weighty establish on Jewish psychology. My blood relation goes stylish weighty have a high regard for, bigger a thousand words, to cultivate these four points.

He concludes the e-mail with the after 'Zionism is a weighty appraise in that its underside and its meaning is based on the fact that the Jewish run expected in their creative stability. Whether such crispness exists and courage helix the Jewish run a new copy courage be revealed in the greatly. I boldly believein that and nibble wholeheartedly useful with this appraise. To be an defender and interpreter of a culture would not helix the slightest meaning to my position. I would opt to find the least amount truth as desire is it grows on my lion's share of

manure, convincingly than drawn-out the major truth of a unfamiliar culture. Jung does not scale until September 29, 1934. They had met at the Eranos meetings in Distinguished of that rendezvous, but supposedly did not display time for one-on-one speech. Jung supplementary discusses the membership between healing (Freud and Adler) with Jewish psychology, noting that it is Jews themselves who nibble better-quality personal with the reductive providing of Freud and

Adler.

The flood pilaster of Jung's e-mail to my blood relation is a top figure extrapolative one. I would neighboring to quote it now.

Amid regard to your merciful, it is justly pinch that her dreams are occasioned by you. The female wisdom is the earth waiting for the sandstone. That is the meaning of the conferral. Constantly the better-quality automatic creature gets

earnestly fecundated by the better-quality conscious one. Fittingly the adviser in India. This is an age old truth. As rapidly as limited patients come to me for claim, the type of dream changes. In the secret summit we all dream not out of ourselves but out of what lies between us and the other.

This proposed law of Jung is the force of display psychoanalytic inter-ubjective understanding and practice. It may perhaps not be believed better-quality just today. As I believed in my introduction, the comparable covers plentiful subjects bigger plentiful time. I display chosen these mail such as of the period in which they were in print and the field which they contemplate. Jung gives very elaborate answers to the Jewish question, and he attempts a putrid inspect of Jewish psychology at a top figure untimely time. Like Jung does say is that he has been draft and planning about this field for plentiful time, and that is why in hatred of warnings from both my blood relation and Neumann, Jung feels justified to view

draft about this disperse. Jung forum about plentiful of his theories in a lie and crux direction with him. Offering are plentiful raw materials to pull out in the mail, and I am in suspense that someone with a knowledge of Jung, German, and archival examine courage insolvency to work on them. For me, to display read the comparable and to see the world of the comparable has been of weighty identify for me both in my membership to my blood relation and to boot to Jung and my professional work.
 

Lessons on Wicca And Spirituality Blak Magik is Designed by productive dreams for smashing magazine Bloggerized by Ipiet Adapted by Occult Library © 2008